See if you Qualify For a Federal Subsidy. Individual / Family plans can be expensive without premium assistance.
Individual and Family plans are available to enroll if you are not eligible to qualify for a group health insurance plan through your employer. Contrary to belief your enrollment can only happen during the Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) or a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) throughout the year.
The Annual Enrollment Period begins on October 15 – December 15 for an effective date of January 1st. December 16 – January 15 for an effective date of February 1st. And finally January 16-January 31st for an effective date of March 1st.
The Special Enrollment Period happens when a Qualifying Event occurs. You have a 60 period from the date of the qualifying period happening. The qualifying event begins when:
- If you lost or will soon lose your coverage due to termination of employment, reduction of employment hours, or exhaustion of COBRA coverage.
- Lost a dependent or no longer considered a dependent.
- If you recently married or entered into a domestic partnership.
- Permanently moved to or within California.
- Had a baby, adopted a child, or recently fostered a child.
- Released from jail or prison.
- Gained citizenship or lawful presence.
- Federally recognized American Indian or Alaska Native.
- Returned from active duty military service.
- Other qualifying life event. Click HERE for complete details.